Take the Guesswork Out of Hiring a Heating & Air Conditioning Contractor
Heating and air conditioning problems can occur without warning, at the most inopportune time. Not having a good relationship with a reputable, reliable heating and air conditioning contractor can make the problem even worse.
For most people, getting their system up and running as soon as possible is the top priority, and that can lead to hasty decisions that can actually cost them more money and cause more frustration in the long run.
As uncomfortable as it may be to go without your heating and cooling system, it pays to do your homework. Here are some helpful tips to help take the guesswork out of selecting a contractor.
1) Find out whether or not the heating and A/C contractor your considering has the appropriate licenses and insurance required by your state. You should also ask whether or not the company or contractor belongs to any industry associations like NATE, local chambers of commerce or the Better Business Bureau.
2) Before picking up the phone, be sure you know your system’s make and model. If’s also helpful if you can tell the contractor about the system’s maintenance and repair history.
3) Before going online to search for a reliable HVAC contractor, ask your friends, neighbors and coworkers for referrals. Many companies feature testimonials on their Web sites, but it’s also a good idea to ask them for references. You should also search for online reviews by actual customers.
4) Although it can be tempting to go with the lowest bidder, basing your decision solely on the initial price of the service call can actually wind up costing you more money.
5) Find out whether or not the contractor provides written estimates prior to beginning the job, and whether or not they stand behind their work with a written warranty. The operative word in both cases is “written” – don’t rely on a verbal estimate or warranty. You should also take the time to actually read the written warranty so you’ll have a clear understanding of what is and isn’t covered in the event the repair work doesn’t solve your problem.
Following these simple steps can help ensure the heating and cooling contractor you choose will have the experience and knowledge to handle your heating and air conditioning repair needs, and the honesty and integrity to deal fairly with you.
Are there other considerations we failed to mention? If so, please leave a comment below.